Do you want to disable incognito mode on your Mac? Are you looking forward to turn off incognito mode on Mac device to prevent users from circumventing filtering or disabling monitoring of management solutions?
Well, you have landed in the right place. This article explains how to disable private browsing mode, popularly known as an incognito mode from your Mac.
Before heading to the method, glance at what incognito mode is and how to turn it on.
What Is Incognito Mode?
Incognito Mode is an implementation by Google for private browsing in Chrome. Incognito mode allows users to surf through the internet without Chrome recording any cookies, usernames, passwords, or search history.
Incognito Mode on a mac can be easily disabled from Chrome by a short edit on the registry. You can also disable the incognito mode in Mac by editing the Chrome property list file.
How to Browse in private on a Mac device?
If you don’t want Google Chrome to remember your search activity, you can also browse the web privately in Incognito mode on your Mac.
Follow the step-by-step guide to do the same
- On your Mac, open Chrome.
- Head on to the top right corner and click on “More” followed by tapping “New Incognito Window“.
- As soon as you click the New Incognito window, a new window will appear on the screen. Move to the top corner and check for the Incognito icon.
Note: You can also use a keyboard shortcut to log in to an Incognito window for Mac, i.e. Press ⌘ + Shift + n.
- Just switch between Incognito windows and regular Chrome windows. As soon as you open an Incognito mode, you are eligible to browse only in private while using an Incognito window.
How to close an incognito mode on a Chrome window on a Mac?
Sometimes an Incognito mode runs in a separate window from your normal Chrome windows.
In this case, follow the given step-by-step guide
- Open the incognito window
- Once you are in, you will see that your private browsing session is continuing in the new window
- Close all Incognito windows to turn off the incognito mode.
Note: You might view a number next to the Incognito icon at the top right. Thus number denotes that you have more than one Incognito window open. To close the Incognito window on your
Mac, go to the top left corner and just click Close.
What happens next when you browse privately is that your Google Chrome won’t save your browsing history, cookies, site data, or information entered/searched.
However, the files you download and the bookmarks you create will be stored.
How to turn on Incognito mode in Safari on Mac?
Follow the given step-by-step guide to do the same
- Open the Safari app on your Mac
- Choose Private Browsing window on your Mac
- Click File > New Private Window, or switch to a Safari window that has already been used as Private Browsing.
NOTE: Private Browsing window on a mac has a dark Smart Search field with an added white texture.
Now, you must make a note that to keep your search private on Mac, always open windows with Private Browsing. For this, follow the given steps-
- Choose Safari > Preferences, followed by clicking General.
- Now, tap on “Safari opens with” pop-up menu
- opt for “A new private window“.
Note: Sometimes, you won’t see the ” A new private window” option. In this case, choose the Apple menu. Select System Preferences from the menu and then click General. At last, tap on “Close windows when quitting an app”.
Now that we know how to Turn on Incognito windows on your Mac, We will help you turn off Incognito Mode on Chrome from your Mac.
Method 1) How To Disable Incognito Mode on Chrome in a Mac?
On a Mac, the actions required for disabling Incognito Mode in Chrome is quite easy with quick result.
Follow the step-by-step guide to turn off the incognito mode
- Go to the Finder icon in the Dock.
- Visit the Go menu bar and click Utilities.
- Now, tap on the Terminal application to open it up.
- Once you are on the terminal application, run the given command on the default section, i.e. com. google.chrome IncognitoModeAvailability -integer 1
- Just reboot/re-start the Mac for the applications to make the necessary changes.
Once you have rebooted the device, you can re-open Chrome on your Mac. You will notice that once you click “File” in the top menu bar, the “New Incognito Window” is disabled.
Now you know all about how to turn off the incognito mode on Mac. Choosing the above method mentioned above will keep your web pages visit and your AutoFill information public. With disabling incognito mode, your last open web pages are stored in iCloud, and thus they are shown when you or anyone else view or open tabs from other devices.