Quite often, in our busy lives and juggling between our laptops and smartphones, we forget about our iPads. They often lie unused in the house for months on end. This makes you very likely to forget the password for it. Believe me or not, you are not the only one. We all have been at that end at some point in our life, forgetting our passwords.
Even if you remember your password but want to have a do-over with your iPad Mini, a reset is a good idea. This is especially true if you are giving the iPad Mini to someone or selling it off. This way, no one access the data you had previously stored on your iPad Mini.
There are many scenarios why you might need to reset iPad Mini, but the steps are few and simple. So, let’s have a look at the steps to reset your iPad Mini.
Must Read: How to Download Movies on iPad?
There are two types of resets when it comes to the iPad Mini. The first one is a soft reset. This is generally done when the iPad Mini becomes unresponsive. This does not erase any of your data but just makes the iPad Mini responsive again. To soft reset, the iPad Mini, follow the below steps.
- Hold the sleep/power button until a red slider appears on the screen.
- Drag this slider from right to left. This will turn the device off.
- Now restart the iPad Mini but holding the power button again. You may release the power button once the Apple logo appears back on the screen.
Sometimes, the above steps don’t work due to technical issues. This mainly happens with the versions of iPad Mini which are relatively older. In case your iPad Mini does not reset using the above steps, there is a different way to reset it. Follow the below steps to reset the iPad Mini.
- Hold the power button and the home button simultaneously.
- After 10 seconds, you will see the Apple logo on the screen.
- Wait for the iPad Mini to boot normally.
Both of these methods only help in making the iPad responsive again. They don’t affect your data in any way.
The second type of reset on the iPad Mini is a hard reset. This reset wipes all the data and settings from your iPad Mini. The storage on the device becomes empty, and all the device settings go back to the default. Hard reset is also commonly known as factory reset since all the settings default back. Since this reset wipes all data, it is advised that you take a backup in case of essential data. Once the factory reset begins, all the data will be lost.
Recommended: How to Get SIM Card out of iPhone Easy Steps Guide
Follow the below steps to hard reset your iPad Mini.
- From the home screen, go to settings and then navigate to the general option. Here you will see the reset option.
- You will see the option to erase all content and settings.
- Once you tap the button, a dialog box would pop up to ask for your confirmation to erase the device. Press the erase button to confirm the factory reset.
- Now, the iPad Mini would go through the factory reset. It takes some time. Once done, the iPad Mini would reboot. Once it turns back on, everything would be back to the factory settings.
All of the above methods only work if your iPad Mini is unresponsive or if you want to erase it. They don’t work in case you are locked out of your iPad Mini. In case you are locked out, there is only one way to recover your device. You can factory reset it using iTunes on a different device. The drawback of this process is that you lose all your data in exchange for your device.
So, in case you are locked out of the iPad Mini, you can follow the below steps to recover your device.
- Connect your iPad Mini to your laptop using a lightning cable.
- Launch the iTunes app on your laptop.
- Inside the iTunes app, you will find an option of summary; click on it.
- Now, you will see an option to reset your iPad Mini.
- Click on the option and proceed.
- Once the iPad Mini is restored, you can choose a backup for your data if you have any previous backup. In case not, you can also set the iPad Mini as a new device.
In case none of these methods works on your iPad Mini, you can always take it to a nearby service center. They can solve all the issues on your iPad Mini. Be sure to only visit authorized service centers.