There are times when your iPhone Wi-Fi network cannot provide the connection to the internet when you needed the most. Furthermore, a situation at work might arise where the Wi-Fi cannot cope with all the iPhones accessing it, thereby slowing down your browsing speed. In such cases, you might require to share Wi-Fi password from Mac to iPhone.
After iOS 11, Apple has simplified the Wi-Fi password sharing between iPhone and Mac computer and this article is where we show you how to do the same.
Requirements to Share Your Wi-Fi password from your Mac to iPhone
As many iOS features call-in, sharing your Wi-Fi feature only works if the following criteria are met –
- Both the devices, i.e. iPhone and Mac, must have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth features pre-installed.
- Personal Hotspot must be turned off on either iPhone or on mac device.
- Both the iPhone and Mac devices must be placed nearby or with a close range of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi access.
- Your iPhone’s ID must be saved on Mac’s contact list.
Note: The password sharing feature will work on Mac with only macOS High Sierra and higher and on iPhone with only iOS 11 or later devices.
Before you move to the actual Wi-Fi password sharing, you must view which version your Mac and iPhone devices are running.
Steps to check the current version of your Mac
- Choose System Preferences from the Apple Menu.
- Tap on Software Update, and if an update is available, tap on the Update Now button to update the mac device.
Steps to check the current software version of your iPhone
- Go to Settings located on the Home screen.
- Just click General followed by tapping About.
- The current iPhone software version will show up on the screen.
Note: You must make sure to reboot both Mac and iPhone devices after updating. This will ensure proper implementation of all new system changes. Furthermore, rebooting will refresh the devices’ memory and operating system.
How to share Wi-Fi passwords from Mac to iPhone?
This article explains to you the easy steps to share Wi-Fi passwords from Mac to iPhone.
So, if you are running out of data on your iPhone, or the local Wi-Fi access, you need not turn off your iPhone device. The best solution to this is you have a Wi-Fi Hotspot that allows sharing your internet connection from Mac to your iPhone.
Enabling Wi-Fi password sharing requires you to tap some other Wi-Fi connection device connection without entering a network password.
Follow the given step-by-step guide to share Wi-Fi password from Mac to iPhone:
- Step 1: Unlock your Mac device, followed by connecting it to the Wi-Fi network.
- Step 2: Make sure you are logged into the Wi-Fi network you want to share.
- Step 3: Now select the Wi-Fi network access on iPhone or the device you want to connect to.
- Step 4: After a moment, you should see a pop-up window appearing on your Mac device; just click on the “Share password” option.
- Step 5: Now, you must be sure that the iPhone device you want to join your Mac Wi-Fi network is in your Contacts app.
- Step 6: Finally, click on “Done“.
What to do when Wi-Fi password sharing from Mac to iPhone isn’t successful?
If you’re having issues in sharing Wi-Fi password between the two devices, here are several ways to make it work easily:
- Restart the mac device along with the iPhone device.
- You must have the security that both devices run with the most recent software updates.
Note: To update your iPhone and Mac device, we have already mentioned the easy steps above.
- Rejoin the Wi-Fi connection after disconnecting it once.
NOTE – To rejoin, go to Settings. Visit the Wi-Fi section and tap on the network name. Click on the letter “i” icon and then click “Forget this Network.” Now, rejoin the Wi-Fi network and enter the Wi-Fi password.
- Go to your iPhone device and reset the network settings.
Note: For resetting the iPhone device, go to Settings followed by General. Click on Reset Network Settings.
- Try to reboot the router.
Try out any of the steps mentioned above, and if still, it doesn’t work, you should look forward to seeking further assistance from Apple Support. You can even contact your Internet service provider for checking on the current Wi-Fi network access.
Now you know the easiest method, which allows sharing Wi-Fi password between your Mac and iPhone device.
You must make sure that the devices are rebooted, and only then you follow up the detailed steps.