MacBook is one of the best computers one can possess. You need to take the utmost care of the same. One can install and store apps in the Mac and makes it perfect for multitasking. You will be able to do this easily with the help of the Dock. The Dock is the area situated on the bottom of the MacBook screen where you can find shortcuts to all the apps. Apps, folders, and programs that are minimized.
What is the Dock, and what gets displayed there?
The Dock has been connected with the MacBook for more than a decade now. Interestingly, it gives you a smart way to access the Finder (MacBook’s underlying file system). Moreover, it handles your currently running apps, favorite files or folders, and ultimately the Trash.
Recommended More: How to Change the Homepage on Mac?
When you first set up your MacBook, your Dock is situated at the bottom of your screen in a square-shaped. You can move its position if you need it. Also, you can move it to the right or left side of the screen. Likewise, you can automatically hide it whenever you’re not using it. Apps are arranged as follows, from left to right sides:
- The Finder
- Your favorite app shortcuts
- Currently-working apps
- The favorite files or folders
- The Trash
Though you can shuffle or change the position of apps in the Dock region, you will be unable to move the Finder or Trash. They stay on opposite sides of the Dock region. You do not have to worry because they will be placed in isolation in the same section.
How to add your favorite apps and programs to the Dock on your Mac
- Launch a Finder window from the Dock.
- Click on the applications in the sidebar.
- Select an app that you want to move and drag it all the way to the Dock.
- Now Let go of the app while it is hovering over the Dock.
If you wish to add a currently-running app to your Dock permanently, you can follow the steps:
- Right-click on the app icon in the Dock section.
- Then select Options in the drop-down menu.
- Click on “Keep” in the Dock region.
You can drag the icon to your Dock region’s unique position, which will automatically be saved as your favorite shortcut.
How to add your files and folders to the Dock on your MacBook
All your files and folders can also be saved to your Dock region. They can only be stored in the Dock right near favorite app shortcuts. The Dock has a section that separates apps from original files and folders so that they are not mixed. Follow these steps:
- Launch a Finder window from the Dock section.
- Please select a file, app, or folder from its location on the MacBook and drag it to the Dock’s right.
Leave the file, app, or folder on the right side of the Dock.